LOC RR

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Dec 1 23:59:07 UTC 2003

Inaki Martinez wrote:

>Hello!!!
>

>>@    in soa host email (
>>	parameters )
>>     in ns  foo.
>>     in ns  bar.
>>
>>     in txt "goofy zone template"
>>     in mx 1000  smtp.example.com.
>>     in loc 40 26 N 3 42 W 1638m
>>
>>;
>>widget in ptr 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.
>>lumpy  in ptr 10.0.2.192.in-addr.arpa.
>>gravy  in ptr 53.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa.
>>;
>>;  end of zone file.
>>;
>>

> Well, with that i think the loc rr only works in the domain in that zone..
>
> I think i explained very bad........
>
> I have 256 IPs, from 0 to 255, really 254......
> In that 254 IPs there are several domains, some admin myself and some not,=
>=20
>but i admin the reverse mapping..... so what i want is instead of add a loc=
>=20
>rr in each zone (which some i have not access) only add to my reverse zone.
>
> I hope i explain better now.

What client is going to be looking up this LOC information? If it's a
RFC 1876-conforming client, then you need to encode things in a certain
way; read the RFC for more details. If it's some other kind of client,
then put your LOC records wherever the client is expecting them. If
you're writing the client yourself, you can put the LOC records
basically anywhere you want, including at the apex of your reverse zone,
if that is your preference.