New bind user setup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Dec 2 00:08:03 UTC 2003

Andrew Smith wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm using BindPE and I have got installed and working as a caching server
>with no problem. If I am correct then I should be able to set it up so that
>rather than updating it's records when I request an address it updates from
>my isp's dns servers (or another specified server) every time a specified
>time period has elapsed (i.e. all dns records not just for addresses I've
>used), can anyone tell me the configuration changes I need to do this?
>
>Secondly how big are the update files likely to be?

Terabytes upon terabytes in size. It's not really practical to try and
be a slave for the entire Internet DNS namespace; even if you had the
machine, storage and network capacity (you don't), and even if you could
keep up with the continual adds/changes/deletes of domains and
nameservers (you can't), most domain administrators these days don't
permit zone transfers to arbitrary Internet clients, so you'd never be
able to slave "all dns records" as you specified.

Now, if you want to be a slave for certain *select* domains for which
your ISP's nameservers are authoritative, then that might be doable:
talk to your ISP about setting that up.