DNS always updating

G Berg gerand at firemail.de
Wed Dec 3 22:15:04 UTC 2003

Hi there!

Jim Reid wrote:
>     >> If I do not run my script and just reload the nameserver
>     >> without having made any changed to the zonefiles, he just
>     >> starts and then does nothing.
>
>     >> So my question is: How does bind determine whether changes have
>     >> taken place to that he needs to send notifies and reload all
>     >> the files?
>
> The name server remembers the time when it last loaded a zone file.
> On a reload, it compares that against the time that the filesystem
> says the zone file was last changed. If the zone file is newer than
> the timestamp when the server last loaded the zone, the zone gets
> loaded again. So your script should be fixed so that it doesn't
> generate new copies of zone files that haven't changed. You should
> also consider generating the files in some other part of the
> filesystem and then having the new or changed ones copied to the place
> where the name server loads them. ie Don't generate the files directly
> into the name server's working directory.

Thanks for your help.

That was my thought as well and I changed my script so that only those
zonefiles are created newly, which have to be modified. But this does
not help.

I guess the problem is, that my named.conf is rewritten every time. May
this be true? I need to rewrite it since there may be zones added or
deleted.

Is there any workaround?

Thanks in advance.

GB