8.3 vs 8.4

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 4 15:55:00 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, J Bacher  <jb at jbacher.com> said:
>Chris A. posted to nanog several weeks ago and I followed up a couple of
>weeks after that to this newsgroup asking for anyone to come forward that
>has successfully run bind9 with Tru64 as a recursive server.  Noone replied.

After some private email with Paul, I did go ahead and try 9.2.3 on
Tru64 5.1B.  It does seem to have the problems with recursive queries
fixed.  Also, I wrote a new patch to add support for listening on
TruCluster aliases and submitted it (so hopefully it will be in a future
release).

For now, I'm back to 8.4.1 though; 9.2.3 used a good bit more RAM and
CPU to do the same job.  I let one cluster member continue to run 8.4.1
and upgraded one to 9.2.3 (+ my patch, since the main NS IPs are cluster
aliases) and let them run for a couple of days to get a comparison.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>