8.3 vs 8.4

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Dec 8 19:02:08 UTC 2003

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <bqr5q9$1db5$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Mark <admin at asarian-host.net>
> wrote:

>> So much for your "clean" and "coherent design". They started from scratch
>> with BIND9, so a lot of bugs are to be expected. But it also means BIND9,
>> for all purposes and intent, is still beta-ware. And it shows.

> Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Nice to be able to contradict barry for once :-)

I have used bind-9 since their early releases, and hav zero
problems with the code. The reason might be that i
have used it mostly in Free/OpenBSD systems ( but also
to some extent in solaris/sparc and DeadRat/86)

What has amazed me is that it has been working so well ...

The largest difference from a user perspective is the
diagnostics, but the built-in but also the supplied
"named-checkXX tools ( well they have had bugs referring to
wrong lines, so i will have to re-phrase the "zero-bug" to
minor non-fatal bugs)

> At Genuity we upgraded our caching-only servers to BIND 9 because we
> needed its support for multi-threading, and didn't have too many
> problems (I think we had to bump up the query quota).

> But when we tried installing it one one of our slave authoritative
> servers, things didn't go as smoothly.  This happened while we were in
> the process of downsizing, so we didn't have the resources to analyze
> and troubleshoot, so we decided to stick with what worked (8.4.x, I
> think).

It's very possible that minor adjustments in building or
configurations might have cured that ... We have been running
bind-8 so long that most platforms has been debugged.

One should also count the number of security-related problems
that has plaqued bind-8 since the introduction of DNSSEC code, none
of these problems happened to bind-9.

--
Peter Håkanson