"domain switching / substitution"

John Sconiers sconiej at cmg.fcnbd.com
Thu Dec 4 21:14:49 UTC 2003

Searched the acrhives and did't find an answer to this one.  Is it
possible to do a domain switch.

You are the SOA of blah.com and blam.com.  Currently all clients are set
to resolve using the domain blah.com.  You want to switch over to
blam.com but you don't want to touch the clients.  So you what you want
to have happen is that when a client asks to resolve joe.blah.com you
will automatically report the ip of joe.blam.com.  I know I can create
individual cnames but can you just do it accross a domain.  This was
possible on a piece of software (meta ip from checkpoint) that was based
on bind but I was wondering if there is some clever way of doing this
like a zone statement.  Thus allowing to me throw a switch and blah goes
to blam and vice-versa.  Probably a better anology is that I have 30
machines in $host.server.a.blah.com and the same 30 machines in
$host.server.b.blam.com(different ip address, same name).  when I get
the signal I just want clients that request host.server.a.blah.com to
get (point to what ever) get the ip of host.server.b.blam.com.

JOHN