Dynamic DNS

Chris Cox chris_cox at stercomm.com
Tue Dec 16 15:39:34 UTC 2003

Pascal offredo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using ISC Bind 9.2.3 jointly with ISC Dhcpd V3.0pl2 for dynamic dns.
> Dhcpd has no problem to register a static address dynamically into a zone
> ... but it cannot remove it from the DNS zone after the address has been
> released.
>
> I 've only got this message in a log file
> DHCPRELEASE of 10.0.0.242 from 00:50:56:40:00:76 via eth0 (not found)
>
> According to a post I get this message because DHCPD can't find this
> address in its addresses pool because it's a static one.
>
> Is there a way to tell DHCPd to remove a record in a zone as soon as it
> has released an address.

My guess is that you have a bootp (MAC) based entry in your
dhcpd.conf... so you call that static.  I'm also guessing
that you have things configured so that your dhcpd makes
dynamic updates even for those entries... which is fine.
(update-static-leases true; and dynamic; on the pseudo-static
entries)

And in all fairness, if you have done these things, it
should kind of work... just have to remember that since
the entry is pseudo-static (in that it is bound to the
presence of particular MAC... ala bootp style)... that the
concept of "releasing" the entry from DNS should not be
critical anyhow... should it??  I will say that in my
testing of this.. that it seemed to work for me though.

There are some incomplete fragments at:
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/miscellaneous/dhcp/examples/ddns.conf