Dynamic DNS

Pascal offredo offredo.pascal at ifrance.com
Tue Dec 16 19:12:29 UTC 2003

Le Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:39:34 -0600, Chris Cox a écrit :

> Pascal offredo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using ISC Bind 9.2.3 jointly with ISC Dhcpd V3.0pl2 for dynamic dns.
>> Dhcpd has no problem to register a static address dynamically into a zone
>> ... but it cannot remove it from the DNS zone after the address has been
>> released.
>>
>> I 've only got this message in a log file
>> DHCPRELEASE of 10.0.0.242 from 00:50:56:40:00:76 via eth0 (not found)
>>
>> According to a post I get this message because DHCPD can't find this
>> address in its addresses pool because it's a static one.
>>
>> Is there a way to tell DHCPd to remove a record in a zone as soon as it
>> has released an address.
>>

> My guess is that you have a bootp (MAC) based entry in your
> dhcpd.conf... so you call that static.  I'm also guessing
> that you have things configured so that your dhcpd makes
> dynamic updates even for those entries... which is fine.
> (update-static-leases true; and dynamic; on the pseudo-static
> entries)
>
> And in all fairness, if you have done these things, it
> should kind of work... just have to remember that since
> the entry is pseudo-static (in that it is bound to the
> presence of particular MAC... ala bootp style)... that the
> concept of "releasing" the entry from DNS should not be
> critical anyhow... should it??  I will say that in my
> testing of this.. that it seemed to work for me though.
>
> There are some incomplete fragments at:
> http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/miscellaneous/dhcp/examples/ddns.conf

First, thanks for your help

I have followed you advices but at now nothing works ...

here is a more detailed explanation :

In fact this is rather a pseudo static address. The host declaration in
the Dhcpd.conf file is :

host win2k3
	{
	hardware ethernet 00:50:56:40:00:76;
	fixed-address 10.0.0.242;
	}

the different statements

ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-domainname "pascal.athome";
ignore client-updates;
update-static-leases on;

are also in the Dhcpd.conf file.

the client (for the test) is a windows 2003 server.

if I perform an ipconfig /renew everything works fine. Dhcpd gives the
address and updates the records in the DNS zones (pascal.athome and reverse zones).

if I perform an ipconfig /release DHCPD can't find it in its address pool
and writes "DHCPRELEASE of 10.0.0.242 from 00:50:56:40:00:76 via eth0 (not
found))" in the log, but doesn't remove records it added previously in the
DNS zones.

In fact, my question is :

Is DHCPD supposed to remove DNS records it added before when I perform an
ipconfig /release command ?

I'd like the hostname to be unresolvable when the machine is not up.

Thanks

Pascal OFFREDO