Questin about zone file size

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 17 17:19:47 UTC 2003

In article <brog3r$11qa$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 jeff donovan <jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us> wrote:

> greetings
>
> what ( if there is any ) is the max number of zones can i have with
> bind 9.2.2?
> I am creating reverse entry's for an internal network ( friggin huge ).
>
> i was starting to think, this is alot of entry's.

I've seen reverse zones for /16 networks with records for all 64K IP's
(most of them obviously boilerplate, e.g. host-XXX-YYY.company.com).

> basically i have 22 networks under one zone master. each network is a
> /16. i am only providing records for the first 20 blocks, but still.
> (254 x 20 )22 forward and reverse = "gulp". i don't want to overload
> this system or cause such a nasty delay that the clients willl break
> out the pitch forks.
>
> any words of wisdom or am I just being paranoid as usual, and bind will
> handle this just fine :)

I recommend keeping the zones smaller, so that when you make a change
the server only has to reload and re-transfer a small zone file
(although if you use IXFR, the transfers may not be an issue).  I like
to have a separate reverse zone for each /24 in a /16.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Woburn, MA