Listen on all interfaces

Oren Held oren at held.org.il
Wed Dec 17 22:28:07 UTC 2003

Hi,

I want my bind(9.2.3) to listen to all the interfaces - thus I do NOT
include a "listen-on" line.
However what it actually does is listen to EACH interface - which might
sound fine at first thought - this means it listens to all the
interfaces.

However, when I create a new interface I'd have to restart bind so it'll
listen to it as well (I need it for HA reasons, sometimes I need to use
another IP on the same machine). Unlike bind, most of the daemons I know
don't listen to a specific interface.

That's how it looks from lsof:

bind-style stuff which listen to EACH interface:
named   213 bind   20u  IPv4    361       UDP localhost:domain
named   213 bind   22u  IPv4    363       UDP other_interface:domain

Other daemons (the good behaviour..)
ntpd      1091   root    4u  IPv4   3081       UDP *:ntp

What do you think? Is it a 'bug'?

 - Oren