nslookup/dns/other problems.

Max Waterman davidmaxwaterman at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 10:58:27 UTC 2003

I hope someone here can help me.

I'm no expert...yada yada.

I have a RH9 system running bind-9.2.1-16. This machine has many
functions, including firewall, dhcpd, imapd, smtpd, httpd, and
bind/dns.

The dns is set up to resolve intranet addresses, and to forward
internet queries.

On the whole, it does seem to work; specifically, our MS Windows
machines don't seem to have any trouble.

My machine running Mac OS X 10.3.2, on the other hand, has some
problems. The symptom is that initial attempts to resolve a name fail,
but subsequent immediate attemps succeed. For example, if I use a web
browser to access http://mail.yahoo.com/ it will respond with a
message that the site does not exist. If I then immediately reload, it
succeeds. I get similar problem when I use nslookup or dig, though dig
does seem to succeed more often.

During the course of attempting to find the cause to this problem, I
have noticed that one of the names I have defined in as an alias[1]
for our dns machine - 'junction' - does not resolve with 'dig', but
does with 'nslookup'.

% nslookup junction
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup
with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server:         192.168.0.1
Address:        192.168.0.1#53

Name:   junction.jingmei.org
Address: 192.168.0.1
% dig junction

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> junction
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;junction.                      IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       10129   IN      SOA     A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2003121801 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 30 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Dec 19 18:56:31 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 101

Can someone suggest to me why this might be the case?

Max.

[1]
junction        A       192.168.0.1
ldap            A       192.168.0.1