nslookup/dns/other problems.

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Fri Dec 19 19:09:17 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:58:27AM -0800, Max Waterman wrote:

> My machine running Mac OS X 10.3.2, on the other hand, has some
> problems. The symptom is that initial attempts to resolve a name fail,
> but subsequent immediate attemps succeed. For example, if I use a web
> browser to access http://mail.yahoo.com/ it will respond with a
> message that the site does not exist. If I then immediately reload, it
> succeeds. I get similar problem when I use nslookup or dig, though dig
> does seem to succeed more often.

There are persistent reports among people I know of *very* aggressive
retries from the OS X resolver, to the point where the first query for
almost anything fails. I haven't been able to reproduce it myself, but
be aware that this may not be the fault of your name server.

> During the course of attempting to find the cause to this problem, I
> have noticed that one of the names I have defined in as an alias[1]
> for our dns machine - 'junction' - does not resolve with 'dig', but
> does with 'nslookup'.

nslookup appends the search list found in /etc/resolv.conf. dig does
not. You must use the fully qualified name you wish to look up with dig.

-Pete