What's the RIGHT way to set up two zones?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 20 05:07:37 UTC 2003

In article <brvgvr$27pe$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 mark at tranchant.plus.com (Mark Tranchant) wrote:

> I'm currently running BIND 9 as a hidden master, providing a feed for
> several secondary servers. My real hostname (as in the one that you
> get on a reverse lookup of my IP) is tranchant.plus.com, and I'm
> hosting two domains:
>
> billericaybaptist.net
> billericaychoral.org.uk
>
> I couldn't figure out how to write the localhost part of the config
> files from the documentation, so in the end, I've just left it out
> which seems to work fine.

Unless you have client machines whose resolvers are pointing to this
server, the localhost zone is unnecessary.

> Now I'm thinking that I ought to use my
> server as a visible primary as none of my secondaries in is the UK. I
> believe I need to add some local references to the server, but I don't
> quite understand this bit.

To make it visible, you need to add your server to the NS records in the
zone and the delegation records in the parent (by updating the zone
registrations).  You'll also need to change the "allow-query" access
list to "any" (you may then want to add "allow-recursion {none;};".

> My current named.conf is shown below. The root.hints file and the two
> zone files are fine, and I'm happy with those. What else am I missing?

What makes you think something is missing?  If you're having a problem,
you never said what it is.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA