Crash w/FreeBSD 4.9 and BIND 9.2.3

Kris Kennaway kkenn at rot13.obsecurity.org
Fri Dec 19 16:00:07 UTC 2003

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc.]
On 2003-12-19, bolwerk <no at no.org> wrote:
> There weren't any logs that I could see. I'm 300 miles from the machine
> though, so hey. Sorry for not mentioning that. I should also warn you, I'm
> a TOTAL novice.

Also a usenet novice, apparently; don't top-post.  See how context has
been lost to anyone who did not read or remember the original post?

> I'm thinking, could it maybe have happened because BIND's cache in memory
> got so large that maybe it just didn't have anymore memory at all?

Yes, that's possible if bind was misconfigured.

> If that's the case, would flushing the cache every 30 minutes or so with a
> crontab entry maybe solve the problem?

The real solution would be to limit its memory use in the first place.
Anyway, this may all be a red herring.  You need to find out what is
actually happening on the system by looking at the console and system
logs.

Kris