project to set up a dynamic redirect process like TZO.com

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Dec 29 02:32:31 UTC 2003

In article <bsml72$2g2b$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 10:06:11PM +0000,
>  Simon Waters <Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote
>  a message of 40 lines which said:
>
> > Although to be fair none of these should matter in an authoritative only
> > server
>
> In that case, you do not claim to be recursive (there are even
> nameservers without recursive code like nsd). But all tzo.com
> nameservers do claim that recursion is available...

As he said, although this is technically incorrect, it doesn't seem like
it should matter.  As far as I can tell, the only use of that flag is as
an FYI during troubleshooting -- I can't imagine why a caching server
querying a supposedly-authoritative server would ever look at the flag.

TZO is obviously using some DNS software that they've cobbled together
and didn't take care of all the nitty-gritty details.  Many
special-purpose DNS servers are like that -- consider Cisco Distributed
Directors as another example (these are really Cisco routers with some
bare-bones DNS server code added on).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA