forward zone

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Feb 11 12:43:36 UTC 2003

> How to delegate? how is the right way to create a subzone of a domain
> mydomain.it ??

	In the parent zone add NS records for the child zone.

	e.g.
	child.mydomain.it. NS <nameserver1>
	child.mydomain.it. NS <nameserver2>

	If nameserver1 and/or nameserver2 are below mydomain.it add
	glue A/AAAA records for the them to the parent zone as well.

	e.g.

	child.mydomain.it. NS ns1.child.mydomain.it.
	child.mydomain.it. NS ns1.example.net.
	ns1.child.mydomain.it. A 1.2.3.4

	Note there is no glue records for ns1.example.net as it is
	*not* below mydomain.it.

	Note the child zone also needs to have the A record for
	ns1.child.mydomain.it.  Glue records are *copies* of records
	from child zones which are used to avoid the catch 22 situation
	of requiring the address to get the address.  If you fail to
	have the original records in the child zone you will cause
	intermittent failures for lookups in the child zone.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org