Real Newbie question

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Thu Feb 20 13:46:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 04:41:32PM +0530, System wrote:
> Hello All,
> I know this is a very basic question i am asking. but can't help:(
>
> See i have a domian a.com.
>
> Is it possible to use the Nameserver Records of different servers i.e.

Of course.

pde at kremvax[~]$ dig rfc822.net ns | grep ^rfc
rfc822.net.     172676  NS      NS2.SECONDARY.COM.
rfc822.net.     172676  NS      UCAN.FOAD.ORG.
rfc822.net.     172676  NS      NS1.SECONDARY.COM.
pde at kremvax[~]$

> a.com  NS  ns1.aaa.com
> a.com  NS  ns2.aaa.com
> a.com  NS  ns3.bbb.com
> a.com  NS  ns4.bbb.com
>
> so if ns1.aaa.com and ns2.aaa.com fails will my domain be resolved with ns1.bbb.com ????

Well, no, since ns1.bbb.com is not in your list of name servers ;)

Also, your question sort of implys something that many people think,
erroneously, about NS records: that they are queried in the order that
you enter them. All four of your listed name servers will be used at all
times: BIND servers will keep track of how fast each responds, and will
prefer over time the one that responds the fastest. I understand that
dnscache will choose randomly from the RRSET each time it makes a query.
MSDNS... well, who knows. Its behaviour seems to vary with the phase of
the moon :(

Point being: don't count on the bbb.com servers 'taking over' only if
the aaa.com servers fail. They'll all be used.

> or is this possible???? what would be the solution for this?

Exactly what you describe. :)

-P.