Real Newbie question (correcting my post)

David Botham dns at botham.net
Thu Feb 20 14:47:23 UTC 2003

It
> says
> that I can have multiple A records for my website. So that if my one
> server
> fails the other will reply for the website request. I am still not
clear
> about this and little bit confused. Can anyone clear the picture for
me.

Yes, round robin will send out both A records for your site.  Remember
that each of those A records has a TTL.  So, other people will remember
those A records for the TTL.  Now, let's say you are using a TTL of 1
day.  And someone gets the A records in question for both of your web
servers now.  Then, in 10 minutes one of your web servers goes down.
You can't contact every name server on the planet that has both A
records cached.  Therefore, some people are going to be attempting to
contact the down server for almost a whole day.  It is also important to
remember that only one of the A records is going to be used.  There is
nothing in the HTTP protocol that says "if one of the A records does not
work, try the others".  The Mail Exchanger records work this way though.

Dave...

<bind-users at isc.org>