Specifying ports with bind

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sun Jan 5 18:27:33 UTC 2003

Clyde O Goffe <goffe at cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Is there a way to specify which port a record should listen to.
> For example if I have a domain name mysite.com with cname www.mysite.com
> and when someone tries to access the website it defaults to port 80 but =
if
> i want it to default to port 81 is there a way to specify that with bind=
?
> Please let me know. I appreciate any help.  Thanks

Yes ( and no). The SRV record is designed to do just that.

The sad thing is that no current browsers uses this ( i did a study=20
on konquereor a while ago, but never managed to get all source
in a buildable state on my machine.

Have a look at=20
> dig _http._tcp.www.ipsec.se srv

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> _http._tcp.www.ipsec.se srv
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      _http._tcp.www.ipsec.se, type =3D SRV, class =3D IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_http._tcp.www.ipsec.se.  1D IN SRV  1 0 80 ipsec.se.
_http._tcp.www.ipsec.se.  1D IN SRV  5 0 8008 mail.manet.nu.

for an example.

> Clyde

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20