[Q] How to do not logging 'Default TTL' ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 8 18:11:11 UTC 2003

=B8=F0=B1=E2=C1=F8 wrote:

>those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
>
> =20
>
>>in comp.protocols.dns.bind i read:
>>
>>   =20
>>
>>>If I don't put a default TTL value in a zone file,
>>>BIND always grumbles
>>>
>>>     '...No default TTL ($TTL <value>) set, using SOA minimum
>>>instead'
>>>     =20
>>>
>>>I don't want to put the default TTL value to all the zone files
>>>     =20
>>>
>>i'd ask why, but actually i don't much care why you want to avoid trivi=
al
>>labor in order to eliminate trivial log entries.
>>   =20
>>

>The thing you must know, it may not be a kinda trivial labor.
>
>I MEANT that I just don't want to use $TTL <value>.
>I just want to use SOA option value like belows;
>

>$TTL 8H  <=3D=3D=3D=3D I DON'T WANT TO USE THIS.
>;=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>; Domain 'domain.tree' for SOME COMPANY
>;=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>@               IN      SOA     prmns.domain.tree. root.prmns.domain.tre=
e. (
>                                2002123003      ;serial
>                                86400           ;refresh
>                                3600            ;retry
>                                604800          ;expire
>                                300    )       ;minimum   <=3D=3D=3D=3D =
I WANT USE
>ONLY THIS
>

> =20
>
>>   =20
>>
>>>I want to use SOA's minimum TTL value instead of default TTL ('$TTL
>>>8H').
>>>
>>>How can I make BIND not to grumble with kinda above message?
>>>     =20
>>>
>>just ignore the log entries, it's already doing what you want.  if you
>>cannot stand seeing the log entries, and you don't want to blind yourse=
lf,
>>then you are welcome to hack the code to eliminate the message.
>>
>>   =20
>>

>The DNS Server, which We(my company) have, has more than 1,000
>domains.
>
>If I don't put the default TTL to DB file ($TTL xH), DNS makes logs
>more than 1,000 entries.
>Then, ignoring the log entries? If I do that, how can I find the importa=
nt
>logs like DB file errors, named.conf error,....etc ?
>
>Thank you for your reply but, I cannot help say sorry that I felt your
>message kinda cynical.

You can't reasonably use the last field of the SOA as the default TTL
value. RFC 2308 redefined the meaning of the last field of the SOA, so
any software, including BIND, which follows standards is going to use it
to mean something else. Your choices are: a) use $TTL to establish
default TTL values in all of your zonefiles, b) set an explicit TTL on
the first RR in the file (usually the SOA RR), or c) convert all of your
zones to use Dynamic Update, in which case named writes out the zone
files with explicit TTLs on each RR, thus mooting the issue. Options (a)
and (b) require touching every zone file, but should be relatively easy
to script if all of the zones are to have the same default TTL (even if
this is not true, it's not that hard to query each zone's SOA RR, and
look at the last field of the RR to determine what the default TTL
should be). Option (c) doesn't require any direct zonefile changes, but
probably would require a complete redesign of your zone-maintenance
tools/procedures/practices, so it's probably not practical for you,
unless you already have some overriding reason (e.g. DNS/DHCP
integration) to move in that direction.

- Kevin