update denied

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Jan 8 21:42:46 UTC 2003

Ragnar Paulson wrote:
> I've just today updated our primary nameserver to Bind 9.2.1 after
> running the secondary nameserver as 9.2.1 for a month.  The primary
> name server is now regularly logging errors such as:
>
> Jan  8 16:02:32 ns2 named[5341]: error: client 80.38.53.93#28435:
> update 'group.com/IN' denied
>
> On the surface this looks like a good thing.  I don't want random
> hosts in the Internet "updating" my zone.  But what exactly does it
> mean and have I misconfigured something?

It means that your name server received a dynamic update message
from the address 80.38.53.93 and didn't process it, because its
configuration didn't say that updates from that address were allowed.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, now available!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/