ndc socket not created; 8.3.4

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Mon Jan 20 22:00:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Yanek Korff wrote:

> > > I've put together many a FreeBSD-STABLE server running
> > > BIND, chrooted, and without problems.  Recently however
> > > I built 8.3.4 out of ports and installed it, chrooted
> > > it and was in the process of adjusting the named.restart
> > > and named.reload scripts before I noticed that named wasn't
> > > creating an ndc socket in ${chroot}/var/run.  I tried
> > > adding a controls statement to named.conf to no avail.
> > > I turned up logging and saw no errors.
> >
> > How are you starting named?
>
> /usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -g bind -t /usr/local/etc/namedb

FYI, you can drop the -g bind. The process will pick its group from the
bind user id.

> I ktrace'ed the named process on one of my servers which DOES create the ndc
> socket and noted it did so before creating named.pid.  On the server that
> didn't create an ndc socket I saw all the same activity but it didn't even
> try to create an ndc socket, though it did create named.pid.

Have you checked the permissions in both directories? Are they the same?
Also, is there a /usr/local/etc/namedb/var/run directory? Any control or
pidfile directives in named.conf?

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?