having my master nameserver resolve another zone...

Christopher L. Barnard cbar44 at tsg.cbot.com
Wed Jan 29 19:49:21 UTC 2003

I must be missing something here, but I do not see what.

I am trying to add the new zone "corp.cbot.com" under the existing cbot.com.
Because of some other requirements, this server is actually "cbott.com"
(note the extra t).  cbott.com has been registered with Internic, so that
should not be an issue.  I suppose it does not matter actually, since it
is internal-only...

What I am trying to do is have a machine "foobar.cbott.com" resolve as
"foobar.corp.cbot.com", thus masking the fact that it is really in the
cbott.com zone.  I am trying to fight one forest fire at a time, so I
want to resolve just "foobar.cbott.com" first.  Then I'll tackle having it
resolve as foobar.corp.cbot.com.  I have put in the master forward dns
table the glue records

cbott.com.      IN      NS      cbottad1.cbott.com.
cbott.com.      IN      NS      cbottad2.cbott.com.

and the corresponding A records for their IP.

cbottad1.cbott.com.             IN A    164.74.77.101
cbottad2.cbott.com.             IN A    164.74.77.102

I can use DiG to transfer the zone, so I know that a DNS server is
running on these boxes.  However, when I do a dig on the record, it is
unknown:

srvns1!/var/named/etc/domain >> dig @srvns1 cbottad1.cbott.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @srvns1 cbottad1.cbott.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cbottad1.cbott.com.            IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.                    10690   IN      SOA     A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.com. 2003012900 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 164.74.143.202#53(srvns1)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 29 13:21:50 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 109

btw, this is an internal nameserver configuration.  Those of you who might
do an access of cbot.com will get the "outside" DNS that is done by uunet.

If anyone sees what I am missing to get this to resolve, I would be most
appreciative.