DNS Forwarders from Windows to Linux

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Fri Jul 25 19:02:37 UTC 2003

In article <bfrtbl$s0c$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Laurence Mayer <laurence at kashya.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a Windows DNS with doaminname.com for our Windows environment,
>and a Linux (RH 8.0) DNS with domainname.com for our linux
>environment, each with the same domain names.
>
>I have enabled forwarders on the Windows 2k server, to point to the
>Linux DNS Server, so that users in  the Windows environment can get to
>machines in the Linux environment, BUT when doing a dns lookup from
>the Windows environment for a host on the linux DNS it does not
>resolve.
>
>Is this because they have the same domain names?

Yes.  A server won't forward if it's authoritative for the domain.

>Any suggestions?

Do all the administration on one server, and configure the other one as a
slave.  Or use separate domain names.

Note that having both of them forwarding to each other can result in a loop
if someone tries to look up something that's not in either of their
domains.  I'm not sure if BIND checks for the case of forwarding back to
the same address it received the query from.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA