sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

Christian Krackowizer ckrackowiz at std-nospam.schuler-ag.com
Mon Nov 10 06:40:40 UTC 2003

Hi,

well, there are a lot of these messages in the newsgroups, but I've tested
a bit and maybe someone can bring some light into this:
sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)
This message was logged after a restart of named 8.4.1. As all root-servers
(A-M) were logged and the whole thing was looping thus filling up the
logfile in enormous speed, I stopped named. I checked the hints file, it
looked ok. Started named again, same thing. I stripped down the hints file
to only 2 root-servers (A and B), restarted named - same thing BUT why does
it claim about C-M ? I checked the sources, I checked for another hints
file - nothing, so it must come from somewhere else. the forwarders! I
commented the forwarders - restarted and everything's fine.
? how can the forwarder (one in my case) cause my named to hang ? logging
incorrectly is one thing but looping! is this a bug ?

--
Christian Krackowizer
Schuler Business Solutions GmbH