sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Nov 10 19:22:30 UTC 2003

In article <boomgk$tvj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Christian Krackowizer  <ckrackowiz at std-nospam.schuler-ag.com> wrote:
>well, there are a lot of these messages in the newsgroups, but I've tested
>a bit and maybe someone can bring some light into this:
>sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)
>This message was logged after a restart of named 8.4.1. As all root-servers
>(A-M) were logged and the whole thing was looping thus filling up the
>logfile in enormous speed, I stopped named. I checked the hints file, it
>looked ok. Started named again, same thing. I stripped down the hints file
>to only 2 root-servers (A and B), restarted named - same thing BUT why does
>it claim about C-M ? I checked the sources, I checked for another hints
>file - nothing, so it must come from somewhere else. the forwarders! I
>commented the forwarders - restarted and everything's fine.
>? how can the forwarder (one in my case) cause my named to hang ? logging
>incorrectly is one thing but looping! is this a bug ?

One of the first things that named does when it starts up is update its
root server list, by sending out a query for the root servers.  Normally it
sends the query to one of the root servers from the hints file, but when
forwarding is configured it sends it to the forwarders.

You need to figure out why the forwarders is unable to resolve the
addresses of [A-M].ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA