W2K AD update and Bind 9.2

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Mon Nov 10 19:25:48 UTC 2003

In article <boomg9$tul$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Lyn <lynkempter at hotmail.com> wrote:
>We allow our W2000 domain controllers to update a unix
>dns server running bind 9.2.  I need to change an NS
>entry in the zone and can't figure out where the entry
>comes from originally.  There seems to be no reference to it
>in Active Directory, nor can I find any sort of stub or
>configuration file that inserts it in the zone file.
>I've tried changing the entry in the Unix dns zone file,
>deleting the journal file, even deleting the zone file.
>The offending entry keeps returning!
>
>I'm not a Windows expert and would be grateful if someone
>could point me in the right direction.  No DNS server runs
>on the Windows servers but WINS does (in what I'm told is
>a restricted fashion).  What service is responsible for
>sending the updates?  Is it Active Directory as I believe or
>some other service?

Yes, there's a DNS server running on the Windows server.  Open up DNS
Manager, click right on the zone, and select Properties.  You should find a
Nameservers tab in there to configure the NS records.

The DNS server is not BIND, it's Microsoft's DNS server that implements
Active Directory.  So if you need further assistance, it's off-topic for
this group; you should ask in a Microsoft group.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA