Nameserver IP address change

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sat Oct 25 11:56:52 UTC 2003

I'm looking at changing and consolidating some services and servers. One
of the servers which I'd like to decomision currently runs the secondary
nameserver for my domain and several other domains. As I can't take the IP
address with me, I'll need to change the nameservers for the domains
accordingly. However, I'm a little unsure what would be the best way to go
about this.

Can I change the IP address of the nameserver (ns.domain.com now points to
5.6.7.8 instead of to 1.2.3.4)? And if so, will I need to update all the
domains having this nameserver in their glue records, or would just
changing the IP be enough to update it for all domains pointing towards it?

Or would it perhaps be better to register a new nameserver on the server I
want to move it to, and then go and change all the nameservers for the
domains? Trouble with this is that I don't have access to all of the
domain registrations to make such an update.

Any insights into this are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Remco Rijnders