Nameserver IP address change

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Tue Oct 28 14:55:17 UTC 2003

In article <bnkt09$1nt0$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Remco Rijnders  <remco at webconquest.com> wrote:

>I'm looking at changing and consolidating some services and servers. One
>of the servers which I'd like to decomision currently runs the secondary
>nameserver for my domain and several other domains. As I can't take the IP
>address with me, I'll need to change the nameservers for the domains
>accordingly. However, I'm a little unsure what would be the best way to go
>about this.
>
>Can I change the IP address of the nameserver (ns.domain.com now points to
>5.6.7.8 instead of to 1.2.3.4)? And if so, will I need to update all the
>domains having this nameserver in their glue records, or would just
>changing the IP be enough to update it for all domains pointing towards it?

It depends on the registrars that the domains were registered through.
Some, like Network Solutions, have separate host and domain registrations,
and the hostname->IP association is in the host registration; changing that
one place updates the glue record for all of them.  Others have a single
registration for the domain and all its servers, so you'll need to update
each domain.

>Or would it perhaps be better to register a new nameserver on the server I
>want to move it to, and then go and change all the nameservers for the
>domains? Trouble with this is that I don't have access to all of the
>domain registrations to make such an update.

Depending on which kind of registrars were used, you may need that access
anyway.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA