problem with recursive clients limit (details needed)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 28 00:07:28 UTC 2003

Josh Brooks wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am getting these errors in my /var/log/messages using bind 9.2.1:
>
>no more recursive clients: quota reached
>last message repeated 195 times
>no more recursive clients: quota reached
>last message repeated 62 times
>
>Anyway, I have seen in usenet how to solve this - the general answer is:
>
>recursive-clients XXXX
>
>Where I set a number larger than the default of 1000.  Ok, fair enough.
>
>I have two questions:
>
>1. can you explain that solution - do I put that in named.conf  ?  Do I
>set it as an env variable ?  Do I compile it in ?
>

>2. Is this indeed the correct fix for this problem, or is there something
>else or something additional I should do ?  (please be specific - if you
>just tell me a line, I won't know whether that goes in named.conf or gets
>compiled in, or is a config option or what ..)

1. It's a named.conf option, although admittedly I've never had any
occasion to use it. See the BIND 9 ARM documentation.
2. Well, it's a workaround. Perhaps you need to find out the root cause
of why you're hitting the 1000 limit. Do you just have too many clients
trying to use the same server, and, if so, have you ever considered
spreading those clients over more than one nameserver? Do those clients
have outrageous "suffix search order"s that might be unduly driving up
the number of queries? Is your server taking too long to resolve
queries, therefore causing the queue to build up? If so, then what is
the bottleneck? CPU? Memory? Are your network connections slow? If you
get to the root cause and fix it, then you might find that it is not
necessary to actually fiddle with the "recursive-clients" option at all.