problem with recursive clients limit (details needed)

J Bacher jb at jbacher.com
Tue Oct 28 15:47:36 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> 1. It's a named.conf option, although admittedly I've never had any
> occasion to use it. See the BIND 9 ARM documentation.
> 2. Well, it's a workaround. Perhaps you need to find out the root cause
> of why you're hitting the 1000 limit. Do you just have too many clients
> trying to use the same server, and, if so, have you ever considered
> spreading those clients over more than one nameserver? Do those clients
> have outrageous "suffix search order"s that might be unduly driving up
> the number of queries? Is your server taking too long to resolve
> queries, therefore causing the queue to build up? If so, then what is
> the bottleneck? CPU? Memory? Are your network connections slow? If you
> get to the root cause and fix it, then you might find that it is not
> necessary to actually fiddle with the "recursive-clients" option at all.

I'm going to second the request for differences between bind 8 and bind 9
wrt recursiveness.

Some of us have asked why Tru64 and bind 9 do not play well together with
a properly configured server.

Our experience is that a less powerful machine running bind 8 has no
problems and that a much more powerful machine chokes on recursive
requests with bind 9.

Are there operating systems that need specific configuration parameters
for recursive requests that other OSs don't need?

Would someone running Tru64 5.1x and bind 9 in recursive mode please raise
your hand?