dig AUTHORITY: 0

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Oct 31 02:33:48 UTC 2003

> can somebody explain, why sec3.apnic.net showing 0 authority records. It
> is a one of our secondaries, but before adding it at the root zone, IANA
>    requires the authority section to be defined. We have ns.ripe.net.
> and other two .ae secondaries all are returning authority records.

	You don't *have* to return NS records in the authority section
	when returning authoritative answers.

	Named does because it solves other problems when the parent zone
	also serves a child zone.  By returning the NS RRset subsequent
	queries are spread over the child servers and not just those that
	are in common with the parent zone.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org