Setting up named.conf under RH8.0 using named.custom

Landy Atkinson atkinson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 12:46:42 UTC 2003

I have recently installed Red Hat 8.0 on a server and am in the process
of setting up Bind.  I have a working configuration running on another
server running Red Hat 6.2 that I am using as a model.  The DNS server
is set up as the master DNS for my intranet at work and a caching DNS
for my local clients for the rest of the world.  My question is not
about specific Bind configuration, but rather the Red Hat 8.0 way to do
things.

In /etc/named.conf there is a warning not to manually edit the file and
to instead use /etc/named.custom for configurations that cannot be setup
using redhat-config-bind.  I have played around and not been able to set
my desired configuration using the GUI redhat-config-bind.

Using manual editing, I can get things to work just fine.  My problem is
that in /etc/named.custom, I need to use additional option{}; commands
that I cannot seem to get into /etc/named.conf using redhat-config-bind.
In particular I want the following.

  options {
          directory "/var/named";
          forward first;
          forwarders {
                  192.168.207.15;
                  24.92.226.13;
                  24.92.226.174;
                  24.92.226.172;
                  24.92.226.171;
                  };
          };

Since the /etc/named.conf only contains a subset of these, I have tried
to add another options{}; in /etc/named.custom, but bind doesn't start
and upon reviewing /var/log/messages, what I see is errors indicating
that bind doesn't like two option{}; statements.

If I comment out all the stuff in /etc/named.conf below the
include "/etc/named.conf"; then it works.  Doesn't seem like this should
be necessary, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions?

-Landy