Setting up named.conf under RH8.0 using named.custom

Landy Atkinson atkinson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Oct 31 04:24:16 UTC 2003

I recently did a clean install of Red Hat 8.0 on a server and am in
the process of setting up Bind 9.2.1-9.  I have a working
configuration running on another server running Red Hat 6.2 and BIND
8.9 that I am using as a model.  The DNS server is set up as the
master DNS for my Intranet at work and a caching DNS for my local
clients for the rest of the world.  My question is not about specific
Bind configuration, but rather the Red Hat 8.0 way to do things.
{I've already tried this question at Red Hat Support, but they wrote
back that they do not support BIND or BIND configuration.}

In /etc/named.conf there is a warning not to manually edit the file
and to instead use /etc/named.custom for configurations that cannot
be setup using redhat-config-bind.  I have played around and not been
able to set my desired configuration using the GUI
redhat-config-bind, so tried adding the additional things I need in
/etc/named.custom as suggested.

Using manual editing of /etc/named.conf, I can get things to work
just fine.  My problem is that in /etc/named.custom, I need to use
additional option{}; commands that I cannot seem to get into
/etc/named.conf using redhat-config-bind.  In particular I want the
following options{};.

   options {
           directory "/var/named";
           forward first;
           forwarders {
                   192.168.207.15;
                   24.92.226.13;
                   24.92.226.174;
                   24.92.226.172;
                   24.92.226.171;
                   };
            allow-query { 192.168.207/24; 127.0.0.1/32; };
           };

Since the options{}; statement in /etc/named.conf only contains a
subset of these, I have tried to add another options{}; in
/etc/named.custom, but bind doesn't start and upon reviewing
/var/log/messages, what I see is errors indicating that bind doesn't
like two option{}; statements.

If I comment out all the stuff in /etc/named.conf below the include
"/etc/named.conf"; then it works.  Doesn't seem like this should be
necessary and will probably just get replaced during an upgrade, so I
must be doing something wrong.  If I have to manually edit
/etc/named.conf, have I gained anything by putting additional edits
inteo /etc/named.conf?

Any suggestions?

-Landy