What Newsgroup for DNS admin questions?

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue Oct 7 19:26:53 UTC 2003

--On 7. oktober 2003 13:37 -0400 clackey <clackey3 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I am looking for newsgroups to discuss my problem of a small business
> domain becoming unavailable... won't resolve any  more.  It worked for 55
> weeks.  It failed 20 days after start of renewed domain year.  My host
> (old and new) won't deal  with it.
> If anyone want's to see what I mean:
> raleighncpchousecalls.com
> registrar = http://whois.dotregistrar.com/
> Current host now is webcountry.net Primary DNS= server.webcountry.net

Ok, the problem here is that neither of the two nameservers give any
answers when asked for your domain name.

If I ask server.webcountry.net I see that it doesn't answer authoritatively
- it is a lame server that only refers back to itself and to
ns2.webcountry.net:

vimes# dig any raleighncpchousecalls.com @server.webcountry.net

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> any raleighncpchousecalls.com @server.webcountry.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      raleighncpchousecalls.com, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
raleighncpchousecalls.com.  2D IN NS  server.webcountry.net.
raleighncpchousecalls.com.  2D IN NS  ns2.webcountry.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
raleighncpchousecalls.com.  2D IN NS  server.webcountry.net.
raleighncpchousecalls.com.  2D IN NS  ns2.webcountry.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
server.webcountry.net.  2D IN A         216.65.111.2
ns2.webcountry.net.     2D IN A         209.134.21.2

;; Total query time: 282 msec
;; FROM: vimes.eivind to SERVER: server.webcountry.net  216.65.111.2
;; WHEN: Tue Oct  7 21:22:53 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 43  rcvd: 156

vimes#

And, if I ask ns2.webcountry.net my query is refused:

vimes# dig any raleighncpchousecalls.com @ns2.webcountry.net

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> any raleighncpchousecalls.com @ns2.webcountry.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 4
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      raleighncpchousecalls.com, type = ANY, class = IN

;; Total query time: 342 msec
;; FROM: vimes.eivind to SERVER: ns2.webcountry.net  209.134.21.2
;; WHEN: Tue Oct  7 21:22:44 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 43  rcvd: 43

vimes#

You'll need to talk to webcountry.net about why your domain isn't working...

--
Regards / Hilsen
Eivind Olsen