Removing wildcards from DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 7 22:28:04 UTC 2003

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>>MU> Imho, wildcards should be wiped off DNS (RFC)
>>

>Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard at tesco.allyourdomainarebelongtoverisign.net> wrote:
>

>>Inasmuch as wildcards are an internal matter for a set of cooperating peer
>>content DNS servers, there's no way that they can be "wiped off DNS",
>>anymore than any other server-side aliasing mechanism can be.
>>

>of course, but my point is: let's get rid of wildcards. I've heard opinions
>that they have legitimate use, but can't find _any_ use that could be calles
>legitimate, and would be worth of receiving spam, flooding the network with
>crap and easting DNS servers' and http proxies' resources...

It is perfectly legitimate, IMO, in an internal-root DNS architecture,
to use wildcard MX records at the TLDs in order to centrally manage an
enterprise's outbound mail routing.

But, if you *really* want to propose eliminating wildcard records, I
think "namedroppers" would be a more appropriate forum for that than
"bind-users"...