issues with mcd.com DNS

Dave Lugo dlugo at etherboy.com
Mon Oct 13 23:44:10 UTC 2003

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> 	ns.mcdkorea.co.kr only has glue.  According to the zone it
> 	does not exist.   Once the cache learns that ns.mcdkorea.co.kr
> 	doesn't exist lookups will fail.

But the catch already has a good answer cached, and a dig done against
the cache (run on the same box as the cache) succeeds, while a dig from
the same/24 as the cache, against the same cache, fails.  If what you
say is correct, I would (with my admittedly junior knowledge of DNS
compared to you) expect both digs to fail.

It's this apparent inconsistency that has me confused.  Is this correct
behavior?

Thanks,

Dave