Problems Resolving mdswim.org

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Oct 15 01:14:21 UTC 2003

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. wrote:

>Late last week, a user reported problems getting to www.mdswim.org
><www.mdswim.org> .  Turned out after investigation that the DNS lookup of
>the host was failing via our servers for some reason.  I was able to look up
>the host from a remote system's DNS server.  With that IP address I was able
>to resolve it on my DNS servers.  It's simply the forward lookup which is
>not working.  I ended up purging the cache on our 3 secondary DNS servers on
>a whim and that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the problem cropped up
>again this week.  I'm at a loss now as to what the problem is.  I'm also
>able to traceroute/ping the destination host as well but not able to access
>via DNS.  Any ideas on what's going on here?  Will provide further info as
>needed/requested.
><mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu <mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
>ISS Systems Server Group
>Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
>11100 Johns Hopkins Road
>Laurel, MD 20723
>Phone:  443-778-5523
>Web:  http://www.jhuapl.edu <http://www.jhuapl.edu>

a) the in-zone NS records in mdswim.org (ns{5,6}.mewebdns.com) do not
match the delegation NS records (ns{1,2}.annapolisinternet.net).
b) ditto for the annapolisinternet.net zone (same in-zone NS records,
same delegation NS records)
c) there are still authoritative nameservers answering on the addresses
in the old glue records for ns{1,2}.annapolisinternet.net
(216.218.200.171 and 216.218.200.172), but they return NXDOMAIN for the
names ns1.annapolisinternet.net and ns2.annapolisinternet.net.

All in all, this is a good recipe for dysfunction.