Upgrade 9 to 9.22 - How?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Oct 17 02:26:25 UTC 2003

> All,
>
> I am running BIND 9 on a Solaris 8 SPARC server and want to upgrade to
> BIND 9.2.2 to plug the recent security vulnerabilities.  Could someone
> please post an easy-to-understand process to go about doing this?
>
> Do I have to uninstall the current implementation of BIND before
> installing the new version, or can I simply install the new version
> directly on top of the current one?

	How did you install it orignally.
	If you used a packaging mechanism I would uninstall.

	If you built from source you can just install over the
	previous version.

	As with any configuration change you should have a good
	recovery strategy.  Even the best planned changes can
	fail.

> Also, I will need to upgrade my OpenSSL to v0.9.7c from what I
> understand.  What is the process of upgrading to this version?  Again,
> must I uninstall the current impmlementation before installing the new
> version, or can I simply install the new version atop the current one?

	Again it depends on how the initial installation was done.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org