DNS - Parent - child relationship not working properly

Fredo hoskins37 at lycos.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 08:44:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

can someone help please!

Setup-

windows2000 servers & active directory
2 domains -
parent > parent.example.somewhere.co.uk (dns server 1 here)
child > child.parent.example.somewhere.co.uk   (dns server 2 here)

the 2 domains are geographically seperate ie use external comms lines
to communicate (Ie WAN)

Now, we had problems whhen we first upgraded the system to windows2000
and as a result we had all dns queries being resolved by server 1.
Therefore, all DNS queries were channeled across the comms lines to
the parent domain and being resolved there. ie DHCP scope options set
dns on the client machines to query server 1.Fine if you can afford
the bandwidth.

However, this is not the ideal situation as most of you will realise.
Having researched it a bit I realised that the correct way to set up
dns in the child domain was to "delegate" that responsibility to a
server located on that site.
Fine.
You just instal dns and create zone on server 2, right click on the
parent domain on server 1, new delegation, put in the server name
(which incidentally resolved to the ip!)and hey presto that's it.
Having reconfigured DHCP scope options to point to the dns server in
the child domain, our clients successsfully logged on this morning and
their DNS queries are being resolved.

HOWEVER!
for some reason there is no name resolution from the parent domain to
the child domain. ie if i type ping server 2 the name isn't resolved,
even though server2 is entered in the parent domain as a delegated
server.
Now I was under the impression that DNS either did a recursive test
(ie querying each dns server in each zone of the enterprise) or a
client based iterative test....both of which should check the bloody
child domain for a resolution to the dns queries.
Does anyone know why it does not?

Also, dns queries not resolved by server2 are indeed passed back up
the hierarchy and are resolved by server1. It's just the other way
that aint workin!

The only thought I had was putting the server2 down as a forwarder in
dns on server1 which it would check on unresolved requests. The
problem is that the servers in there are currently the dns servers for
our ISP so I wasn't sure if I should.....

Help please!!