DNS - Parent - child relationship not working properly

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Sep 3 12:48:29 UTC 2003

hoskins37 at lycos.co.uk (Fredo) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>can someone help please!
>
>Setup-
>
>windows2000 servers & active directory
>2 domains -
>parent > parent.example.somewhere.co.uk (dns server 1 here)
>child > child.parent.example.somewhere.co.uk   (dns server 2 here)
>
>the 2 domains are geographically seperate ie use external comms lines
>to communicate (Ie WAN)
>
>Now, we had problems whhen we first upgraded the system to windows2000
>and as a result we had all dns queries being resolved by server 1.
>Therefore, all DNS queries were channeled across the comms lines to
>the parent domain and being resolved there. ie DHCP scope options set
>dns on the client machines to query server 1.Fine if you can afford
>the bandwidth.
>
>However, this is not the ideal situation as most of you will realise.
>Having researched it a bit I realised that the correct way to set up
>dns in the child domain was to "delegate" that responsibility to a
>server located on that site.
>Fine.
>You just instal dns and create zone on server 2, right click on the
>parent domain on server 1, new delegation, put in the server name
>(which incidentally resolved to the ip!)and hey presto that's it.
>Having reconfigured DHCP scope options to point to the dns server in
>the child domain, our clients successsfully logged on this morning and
>their DNS queries are being resolved.
>
>HOWEVER!
>for some reason there is no name resolution from the parent domain to
>the child domain. ie if i type ping server 2 the name isn't resolved,
>even though server2 is entered in the parent domain as a delegated
>server.
>Now I was under the impression that DNS either did a recursive test
>(ie querying each dns server in each zone of the enterprise) or a
>client based iterative test....both of which should check the bloody
>child domain for a resolution to the dns queries.
>Does anyone know why it does not?
>
>Also, dns queries not resolved by server2 are indeed passed back up
>the hierarchy and are resolved by server1. It's just the other way
>that aint workin!
>
>The only thought I had was putting the server2 down as a forwarder in
>dns on server1 which it would check on unresolved requests. The
>problem is that the servers in there are currently the dns servers for
>our ISP so I wasn't sure if I should.....
>
>Help please!!

You do not state which DNS software you are using.  I infer that you
are using the MS W2k DNS software.  As this is a BIND discussion
group, you might not get much help here.  If I have time to read your
posting in detail, I might post a response.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov