named.conf lint (format debugging)

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Thu Sep 25 14:07:48 UTC 2003

In article <bkurfh$2ghg$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Pete Ehlke  <pde at ehlke.net> wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 02:35:55AM -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>>
>> My question is, is there a proggy around that will do a lint of your
>> named.conf file and point out any formatting problems.   Oddly, I remove
>> those statements and it runs fine, but complains about a missing rndc.key file.
>named-checkconf should have come with your copy of BIND 9. There is also
>named-checkzone, for checking zone file syntax. Both tools use the same
>parsing routines tht BIND itself does.

Which means they probably won't tell him anything more than the log
messages from BIND itself.  They're useful for catching errors *before*
putting something into production, but once you already know you have an
error I don't think they're much help in determining where it is (except
that you can use it while trying different changes to the conf file to see
if it clears up the problem).

I'll bet that the OP's problem is a missing or extraneous curly brace, or
maybe a missing semicolon.  Use a text editor like Emacs that can show
matching braces.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA