resolving domain basis1.de and basis1.com - DNS newbie

Uwe Disch uwe.disch at gmx.net
Wed Apr 7 22:32:18 UTC 2004

"Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:c4vb12$2ftb$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> Uwe Disch wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >recently I discovered that I have problems in resolving basis1.de
and
> >basis1.com (It's a domain of a local company). I'm running bind
8.2.2
> >as DNS for intranet and as cache for internet.
> >
> >If I do a "nslookup basis1.com" on the dns then bind is telling me:
> >

> >Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
> >Address:  192.168.10.10
> >
> >*** someserver.somecompany.com can't find basis1.com: Non-existent
> >host/domain
> >

> >If I do a "nslookup basis1.com dummy-dns.dummy-domain.com"
afterwards,
> >bind returns:
> >

> >*** Can't find server address for 'dummy-dns.dummy-domain.com':
Unknown
> >host
> >
> >Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
> >Address:  192.168.10.10
> >
> >Non-authoritative answer:
> >Name:    basis1.com
> >Address:  62.146.78.226
> >

> >Whow!
> >
> I think you would have had the same results if you just ran the same
> nslookup command twice. What's happening on the second nslookup
command
> is that it's giving up on the dummy name and going back to your
default
> nameserver. So it's effectively no different than if you had just
> repeated the first command.
>
> Ultimately, the root cause of your problem is most likely the lack of
> "query restart" in BIND 8. Under some conditions, BIND 8 loses track
of
> certain information it needs to resolve a query, and when this
happens,
> it just gives up on the query, hoping that the client will retry the
> query again and that the partial information it already obtained in
> connection with the first resolution attempt, plus information
obtained
> by some number of queries on the second resolution attempt, will
allow
> it to complete the whole resolution process and get an answer back to
> the client. BIND 9 has "query restart" so the fact that you're having
> problems with BIND 8 in this regard constitutes a good reason to
> consider an upgrade.
>
> >From now on it's working fine for some hours.
> >
> It works until the the relevant information times out of the
> nameserver's cache. Then the whole sequence starts over again.
>

>                                        - Kevin

Thank You. I ran the first nslookup command several times and it was
not working. Then I ran the second one several times and it worked not
(sorry, I was not very acurate giving the example). Then I was running
"nslookup basis1.com dummy-dns.pri-dns.de" once and I had a quite good
result:

*** Can't find server address for 'dummy-dns.pri-dns.de': Unknown host

Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
Address:  192.168.10.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    basis1.com
Address:  62.146.78.226

pri-dns.de is the domain where the DNS records are hosted. But the
exact server is unknown. Is really the "query restart" the problem?
Please advice

Uwe