resolving domain basis1.de and basis1.com - DNS newbie

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 16 23:45:54 UTC 2004

Uwe Disch wrote:

>"Kevin Darcy" <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>news:c4vb12$2ftb$1 at sf1.isc.org...
>

>>Uwe Disch wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>recently I discovered that I have problems in resolving basis1.de
>>>

>and
>

>>>basis1.com (It's a domain of a local company). I'm running bind
>>>

>8.2.2
>

>>>as DNS for intranet and as cache for internet.
>>>
>>>If I do a "nslookup basis1.com" on the dns then bind is telling me:
>>>

>>>Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
>>>Address:  192.168.10.10
>>>
>>>*** someserver.somecompany.com can't find basis1.com: Non-existent
>>>host/domain
>>>

>>>If I do a "nslookup basis1.com dummy-dns.dummy-domain.com"
>>>

>afterwards,
>

>>>bind returns:
>>>

>>>*** Can't find server address for 'dummy-dns.dummy-domain.com':
>>>

>Unknown
>

>>>host
>>>
>>>Server:  someserver.somecompany.com
>>>Address:  192.168.10.10
>>>
>>>Non-authoritative answer:
>>>Name:    basis1.com
>>>Address:  62.146.78.226
>>>

>>>Whow!
>>>

>>I think you would have had the same results if you just ran the same
>>nslookup command twice. What's happening on the second nslookup
>>

>command
>

>>is that it's giving up on the dummy name and going back to your
>>

>default
>

>>nameserver. So it's effectively no different than if you had just
>>repeated the first command.
>>
>>Ultimately, the root cause of your problem is most likely the lack of
>>"query restart" in BIND 8. Under some conditions, BIND 8 loses track
>>

>of
>

>>certain information it needs to resolve a query, and when this
>>

>happens,
>

>>it just gives up on the query, hoping that the client will retry the
>>query again and that the partial information it already obtained in
>>connection with the first resolution attempt, plus information
>>

>obtained
>

>>by some number of queries on the second resolution attempt, will
>>

>allow
>

>>it to complete the whole resolution process and get an answer back to
>>the client. BIND 9 has "query restart" so the fact that you're having
>>problems with BIND 8 in this regard constitutes a good reason to
>>consider an upgrade.
>>
>>>From now on it's working fine for some hours.
>>

>>It works until the the relevant information times out of the
>>nameserver's cache. Then the whole sequence starts over again.
>>

>>                                       - Kevin
>>

>Thank You. I ran the first nslookup command several times and it was
>not working. Then I ran the second one several times and it worked not
>(sorry, I was not very acurate giving the example). Then I was running
>"nslookup basis1.com dummy-dns.pri-dns.de" once and I had a quite good
>result:

> [...]
Well, it's a little unusual for query restart problems to persist across
several lookups. Looks like the query may have gotten "stuck" completely
(think of that as a terminal case of "lacking query restart" :-). One of
the nameservers for basis1.com happens to be in the pri-dns.de domain,
so perhaps the attempted lookup of "dummy-dns.pri-dns.de" is just enough
to get the query restarted. But, you don't need to go around trying to
send queries to dummy nameservers: you could probably get the same
effect by querying "ns1.pri-dns.de" or "-q=ns pri-sec.de" prior to the
"basis1.com" lookup.

In any case, I think the long-term solution to your problem is to
upgrade to BIND 9...