updating zone manually

Mike Diggins diggins at McMaster.CA
Tue Apr 20 15:13:53 UTC 2004

I have three name severs, one a master and two slaves. Only the two slaves
answer queries. I subscribe to the mail-abuse rbl via zone transfer to my
Master which then feeds my slaves. The problem is that the Mail Abuse RBL
has become huge (~50 MB) and takes several minutes for my slaves to update
which cause a short DNS blackout while that happens!

What I'd like to do is stop dynamically updating my slaves with this
particular zone and load it up manually (perhaps via CRON) at a controlled
interval (say once a day). How do I tell BIND 9.2 not to dynamically
update the zone (in the config) and how I can trigger this update
manually?

-Mike