updating zone manually

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Apr 20 21:57:29 UTC 2004

    Mike> What I'd like to do is stop dynamically updating my slaves
    Mike> with this particular zone and load it up manually (perhaps
    Mike> via CRON) at a controlled interval (say once a day). How do
    Mike> I tell BIND 9.2 not to dynamically update the zone (in the
    Mike> config) and how I can trigger this update manually?

You can't. If a zone is controlled by Dynamic DNS, you cannot and must
not attempt to update it by hand while the name server is running. Very
Bad Things will happen if you ignore this advice. With BIND9.2, you
have to stop the server, then update the zone file by hand, delete the
journal file and then restart the name server. BIND9.3 provides rndc
freeze/unfreeze to permit a dynamically-updated zone to be updated by
hand (=> no DDNS updates) and then reloaded (=> DDNS is OK).