Selective forwarding and views...

Ricardo Stella stella at rider.edu
Tue Aug 24 20:42:48 UTC 2004

Hello,

We are trying to setup internal DNS servers that would be also be used
for a network registration system.  Users would get a private IP
initially, and after registration, they'll get a permanent one.

So, via views, we would like to redirect the users to our registration
box.  But we do need to give access to certain addreesses before they
register.

The problem we are having is that it seems the server is sharing it's
cache data for both views.

This is what we came up with for named.conf for 10.0.0.10 who acts as a
master (.11 is secondary):

### named.conf (standard options ommited)
acl restricted { 192.168.100.0/24; }
acl internals  { 10.0.0.0/8; 127.0.0.1; }
view "restricted" {
	match clients { restricted; };
	allow-query { restricted; };
	zone "microsoft.com" {
		type forward;
		forwarders { 10.0.0.11; }; ## This is a secondary
		forward only; };
	zone "." {
		type master;
		file "fake-root"; }; };

view "unrestricted" {
 ... standard master dns server options and zones that work ok ...
}
### End named.conf

### fake-root
$TTL 0
. IN SOA reg.domain.net. root.reg.domain.net. (
                119 ; 10800 ; 360 ; 604800 ; 86400 ; )
               IN      NS      reg.domain.net.
microsoft.com.	IN	NS	reg.domain.net.
reg.		IN	A	10.0.0.10
*.		IN	A	10.0.0.10
### End fake-root

Any ideas, or a pointer on somewhere that explains a bit on how to
properly set this scenario up ?

TIA...

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: stella.vcf