BIND 9.2.3 and zone transfers larger than 64MB

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Aug 28 08:13:16 UTC 2004

Vinny Abello <vinny at tellurian.com> wrote:
> I've encountered out of memory errors on FreeBSD 4.10 also right at 512MB.
> It's something in the OS that needs to be adjusted. If you know how or
> anyone else does offhand (or a link that tells you) I'd appreciate it as
> well. I'm still learning a lot about FreeBSD and have this problem with a
> memory hogging app, but I currently don't run it so I sort of forgot about
> this. :) I know this isn't a FreeBSD list so feel free to reply off list if
> someone has the info on how to change it. Thanks!

> At 11:23 AM 8/27/2004, Mark Hennessy wrote:
>>Thanks for responding.  It looks like named has hit a memory use ceiling =
>>on
>>my machine at around 512MB.  It looks like the FreeBSD 4.10 kernel on =
>>this
>>machine may have a default per-process limit of 512MB.

You should increase NAXDSIZ kernel oparameter. Could be done at
boot-time by loader.conf with kern.maxdsiz="1073741824"
or by generating a new kernel with a changed :
options         MAXDSIZ="(512*1024*1024)"
(where 512 is replaced by some larger value)

For both the above advices, make shure you have backups and a
reliable boot-alternative.

--
Peter Håkanson