ping problems with BIND9

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Dec 1 19:57:03 UTC 2004

> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:50:31 +1300 (NZDT)
> Subject: Re: ping problems with BIND9
> From: "Kerry Thompson" <kerry at security.geek.nz>
> To: bind-users at isc.org
>
> That delay sounds like its searching for the domain, in other words the
> client system doesn't know what domain its in.
> Try pinging the fully qualified domain name eg.
> machinename.your_domain.tld, and/or adding a 'domain' statement into
> /etc/resolv.conf:
>
>   domain your_domain.tld

Also try putting a fully qualified domain name in /etc/hosts instead of
just the "short" name...

> Kerry
>

> Mike Branda said:
> > Kerry,
> >
> > here's what's in nsswitch.conf.  it already had dns in the hosts and
> > networks lines.  What's strange is that if I remove the nameserver from
> > resolv.conf, when I do "ping machinename" it immediately returns "ping:
> > unknown host machinename". But when the nameserver is there, it takes
> > about 15 seconds to return the same message.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 13:56, Kerry Thompson wrote:
> >> Mike
> >> Some information on what the client OS is would help.
> >>
> >> (taking a punt that they are *nix) It sounds like the clients have
> >> /etc/resolv.conf configured, but /etc/nsswitch.conf hasn't got "dns"
> >> configured for hosts lookups. A key difference between dig/host and
> >> vanilla commands ( ping, telnet ) are that dig goes straight to
> >> resolv.conf to find DNS servers, whereas ping uses normal libraries to
> >> read nsswitch.conf then oges to resolv.conf
> >>
> >> Kerry

> >> local
> >> from
> >> machine

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin