Even Stranger Incorrect DNS Query Results

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 16:29:42 UTC 2004

Allie M Hopkins <allie at lsu.edu> wrote:

> ANY aix machine that I run dig @ns1.ntwo.net any.thing.com times out.  I
> have tried 6 different aix machines with varying hardware, os version,
> software, administrators, etc.  All fail.  On ANY other os that I try:
> windows, openbsd, fedora, gentoo, this lookup is successful.  How strange
> is that?????  I dug a little deeper.  When I traceroute to that nameserver,
> it never reaches it from our network.

> traceroute to 207.191.33.2 (207.191.33.2) from 130.39.3.5 (130.39.3.5), 30
> hops max

Looks like ns1.ntwo.net is more than 30 hops from your machines.
AIX apparently uses an initial TTL of 30 in UDP, see

  http://secfr.nerim.net/docs/fingerprint/en/ttl_default.html

That references the AIX command "no", so look into that.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for